Here is something I started last year when Mia was in kindergarten. I found a bunch of kids' Christmas jokes online, typed them up, cut them apart, and stuck a slip of paper into her lunch box. Some websites that I pulled from included Merry-Christmas.com, All Things Christmas, and this one which sounds like it would have nothing to do with Christmas, but surprised me by having some perfectly acceptable kids' jokes.
Once I did the original legwork, this became a simple and fun new holiday tradition. A joke a day was much better received by Mia than say, the time I took a black Sharpie and drew a silly face a banana before packing it in her lunch. I know her kindergarten teacher shared these with the class, and I am hoping the first grade teacher will do this as well.
I got started with the jokes earlier this year, so that bodes well, don't you think? Here are several that I have used before, and a few extras, some of which are probably over her head. (I find them punny, so I am keeping them on hand for when the time comes that she is ready for them.) For "extra credit," I used decorative scissors to cut them out this year. I had learned at some point last year that she was more likely to see the jokes if I taped them to her sandwich holder than if I just slipped them in the lunch box, so I plan to do that each school day during the month of December, starting today!
- Q: Why do reindeer wear fur coats? A: They look silly in polyester.
- Q: Which reindeer have the smallest legs? A: The shortest ones.
- Q: What is a snowman's favorite breakfast food? A: Frosted Flakes.
- Q: What do you get when you cross a snowman with a vampire? A: Frostbite.
- Q: How do snowmen travel? A: Ice-cycles!
- Q: What sort of ball doesn't bounce? A: A snowball!
- Q: Why do mummies like Christmas presents? A: Because they're wrapped!
- Q: What do elves learn in school? A: The elfabet.
- Q. What kind of bird can write? A. A pen-guin.
- Q: What do you get if you cross an apple with a Christmas tree? A: A pineapple!
- Q:What do snowmen eat for dinner? A: Ham Br-r-r-r-r-gers!
- Q: What is the best Christmas present in the world? A: A broken drum - you can't beat it!
- Q. What do you get if you cross Santa with a detective? A. Santa Clues!
- Q. Why does Santa Claus like to work in the garden? A. Because he likes to hoe, hoe, hoe!
- Q: What is the difference between the Christmas alphabet and the ordinary alphabet? A: The Christmas alphabet has no L (noel).
- Q: What happens if you eat Christmas decorations? A: You get tinsil-itis!
- Q: How is a cat on the beach like Christmas? A: Sandy claws.
- Q: What did one angel say to the other? A: Halo there!
- Q: Why do reindeer scratch themselves? A: They're the only ones who know where they itch!
- Q: What is green, white, and red all over? A: A sunburned elf!
- Q: What did the bald man say when he got a comb for Christmas? A: I'll never part with it!
- Q: How does Good King Wenceslas like his pizza? A: Deep pan, crisp, and even!