Thursday, September 6, 2012

DIY Painted Cars Birthday Candle


This is the first in a series of posts detailing the crafts I did for Logan's While putting together my Pinterest board for Logan's 3rd birthday party, I stumbled upon this. Super cute, right? So, I decided that I would try to make my own painted candle for his Cars themed party. I figured if it didn't work out, I would be out 99 cents and life would go on. In the end, I was pretty pleased with the results, and Logan was happy, too.

To decorate the candle, I filled in the inside portion of the "3" with red acrylic paint. After it dried I painted a lightning bolt with yellow acrylic paint (it's not perfect, but working with curves is tricky, so I cut myself some slack). Once that paint was dry, I outlined it with a black Sharpie marker. Then I used the black Sharpie to draw some rectangular hash marks around the outside (raised) edge of the "3." I filled in the alternate spaces with white acrylic paint. Once it was all dry, I touched up a couple of areas, but didn't worry about making it perfect. The reverse side I left alone since it would be backwards. See, it wasn't too complicated, and it wasn't very time-consuming either. However, if you like the idea, but don't feel up for the craft, check out the Etsy shop that inspired me and order your own custom birthday candle.

4 comments:

  1. HI just wondering if you used a painting medium or primer? Or what brand or acrylic paint? I've tried painting and the paint doesn't seem to cover or looks streaky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. It's been a couple of years, but it was just the inexpensive little bottles of acrylic paint you can find at any craft store or Walmart. I didn't prime the candle in any way. I couldn't really say why it worked for you and not for me. Perhaps another type of paint will work? Best of luck with that, Court!

      Delete
  2. wiping the candle first w alcohol may help

    ReplyDelete