Wednesday, October 12, 2011

An Apple a Day...

I love fall, especially all of the delicious things that we can make after we have been apple picking. We enjoy making this apple crisp at least once every year, and Mia helped me make it the other day. (She very methodically laid the apple slices in neat rows. I am not sure where that came from but she insisted that they needed to be arranged in this way.) While the apple crisp baked, we had apples cooking down on the stove top for some yummy fresh applesauce. I have doubled a recipe and tweaked it a bit, and now I want to make sure to remember the changes I made because I think they are great. I substituted apple cider for the water after reading that suggestion in the newspaper. This was very tasty, and I was able to use less sugar. I like to use a variety of apples for applesauce and apple crisp, basically a mix of whatever we have picked, which varies depending on which point in the season we make it to the orchard. This time we had Golden Delicious, Ida Red, Mutsu, and possibly a couple of others that I can't recall. Last year, we made caramel apples with this caramel apple wrap kit and they turned out great. It was so much easier than dipping in melted caramel. I haven't found them in the store yet, but I am on the look-out because I definitely want to make these with the kids again this year.


Home-made Applesauce
Makes about 2 1/2 cups
  • 2 quarts apples (peeled and sliced)
  • 2 cups apple cider
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp. lemon juice
  • cinnamon (optional)
Put all of the ingredients in a sauce pan and cook until tender (about 45 minutes) and most of the liquid has cooked down. Mash the mixture using a potato masher (or an electric mixer if you don't like lumps). Place in the refrigerator to cool. Enjoy topped with cinnamon or as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment