Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What is a Mom?

Lately I've been bothered when filling out paperwork for the pediatrician, preschool enrollment, and such because the forms usually include an area to list my job. I have been leaving that section blank, which I don't like doing, because it makes it seem like I don't have a "job." This couldn't be further from the truth! It got me thinking about all the responsibilities and roles that I play as "Mom." There is no way they could all fit on a form unless I wrote really small:  

referee, personal chef, dietitian, maid, party planner, teacher, secretary, personal shopper, nurse, librarian, manicurist, exterminator, psychologist, cheerleader, photographer, family historian, coach, judge, entertainer, interior decorator, wardrobe consultant, financial planner, masseuse, hairstylist, chauffeur, Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, nose wiper, diaper changer, coupon clipper, and finder of lost things (plus other stuff that just plain defies categorization!) 

 Being a stay at home mom is a lot of work and just thinking about this list explains why I am usually so tired at the end of the day! "Child care provider" doesn't cover all of the bases. It's no that wonder people invent terms like "domestic engineer" to describe what we moms do. However, I'm not a fan of that term, either. So, what should my job title be?

2 comments:

  1. I heard a new one, household manager... but even then, it's not good enough. My husband is a mechanic, so I figure everything that isn't a car is my problem...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That seems like a good name for "housewife" but moms have more duties than wives without kids.

    ReplyDelete