- smooth white pumpkin
- carving tools (or knife and spoon/ice cream scoop)
- 2 black marbles
- 2 flat toothpicks
- pen (I used a pencil)
- adhesive that will work on glass
- newspaper (optional)
- Set pumpkin on newspaper and cut off top of pumpkin.
- Scoop out seeds. If desired, save for roasting or another project.
- Cut two eyes, making sure they are large enough to hold the marbles. Cut a nose and a mouth. Working your way around the pumpkin, carve additional curvy pieces to look like mummy wrappings. (If you are concerned about getting your design right, draw it with a pencil or pen before starting to carve the pumpkin.)
- Insert a toothpick into each eye hole. (Mine were too long, so I shortened them by breaking them.)
- Using a strong adhesive (I used Super Glue), glue a black marble to each toothpick, making the eyeballs. (I didn't have black marbles so I used clear glass pebbles, which I colored the back side of using a permanent black marker. I think these might have been better, anyway, since they have a flat side, which made them easy to glue to the toothpick. You can get these at any craft store.)
- Add a candle (or flameless "candle"), replace the top of the pumpkin, and you are set to spook some trick-or-treaters! (Use caution if using a candle.)