Thursday, April 25, 2013

No More Tangles, No More Tears!

{My new favorite thing - not the girl - although, she's pretty special, too!}

While flipping through a parenting magazine (what else?) at the dentist's office last month, I came across a little blurb about something called the Knot Genie. It's a hair brush for kids that claimed to magically get rid of tangles without the crying, tugging, and power-struggles that often happen while trying to brush kids' hair. Naturally, I was interested in this, since Mia is very independent about her hair styling, but her practices are not quite living up to my personal expectations. When I told Mia about "the magic hairbrush," she became very excited. Yes, order it, order it, she told me!

So, I went to their website and saw that they offered the regular size Knot Genie, which fits in an adult's palm nicely, and a Teeny Genie, the kids-sized version. I decided that we needed both, but I didn't want to pay $20 each plus shipping and handling. Then, I turned to Amazon and was able to get both the Knot Genie and the Teeny Genie for less and with free shipping (because I had something else in my cart: this magnet set). Yay!

Once our Knot Genies arrived, Mia immediately began brushing her hair (on her own, without being asked/begged/bargained with... You get the idea.). That alone was wonderful. The fact that these hair brushes really do what they say is the icing on the cake. My child now brushes her hair independently. More importantly, she does a proper job of it, unlike before, which was really just saying she would do it herself to avoid having me do it since it would likely hurt! Oh, and she does this at minimum, once a day. Most days she brushes her hair in the morning and at night. Not only is it easier pain-free to use, it's quicker too! Mia's hair looks now looks smooth and shiny and it's free of snarls. She actually brushes her hair because it's fun and she wants to! We are both so relieved to be done with the hair-brush power struggles and the accompanying tears!

What's more, Mia even brushes volunteers to brush Logan's hair for him, which is something I typically avoid because of his curls. I can now say from experience that Knot Genie works just as well on his curly hair as it does on Mia's stick-straight hair. Knot Genie doesn't remove the curls, thankfully, but it does make him look more presentable. This is nice considering he is currently going through a "Flock of Seagulls" phase with his hair standing up in all directions rather than curling as I would like it to.

It's hard for me not to share when I discover great products that really do make parents lives easier! As silly as it may sound, our mornings are truly going more smoothly thanks to this product, a hair brush, of all things! Personally, I think it is getting more and more difficult to find truth in advertising, but Knot Genie really delivers. There is so much junk out there that it's easy to get sucked into the hype and waste money on stuff you don't really need. (This is particularly true of the parenting market, I think.) However, buying Knot Genie hair brushes was money well-spent. So, that's one parenting battle down, and soooo many to go...


No comments:

Post a Comment