Sunday, December 30, 2012

Reading Log 2012

So, after reading this list that Button Bird Designs kept last year, and after seeing my friend Kim's Facebook update telling how many books she had read for 2011 (and apparently none were picture books; I checked), I was inspired to keep my own reading log for this year. I don't think I actually wrote any New Year's Resolutions for 2012 since they never seem to be kept and that just makes me feel like a failure, but I did make it a goal to read more often and to keep a log of all the books I finished. I don't think I came close to Kim in terms of how many volumes I made it through, but it's not too shabby.

Re-reading these titles suddenly helps me realize why "murder" has become a recent addition to Mia's vocabulary. Incidentally, if you like light-hearted murder mysteries, I love the "Meg Langslow" series by Donna Andrews, which all have punny bird-themed titles. I also have enjoyed many, many in the "Hannah Swenson" series by Joanne Fluke. As a bonus, all of these dessert-themed books include tons of recipes. I don't think I have actually tried any of them yet, but someday... These books fill a void since I used to love crime-solving shows but I can't watch them any longer. Being a mom makes that stuff hit a little too close to home for some reason -- with the exception for Castle, which is irreverent enough to suit my sense of humor.

Confession time: some books I am listing individually were actually two different sets of three bound together. So, if you are keeping track and don't want to count them as separate novels, that means I am down 4 on my list. Personally, I thought they should all count as individual books since they all have separate authors and are really just compiled together because of similar subject matter, but Amazon listings seem to suggest otherwise...

And yes, I read the Fifty Shades books, which surprised both my sister-in-law and my mom, although I am not sure why. I couldn't put them down and finished the series in about 10 days, mostly while sitting next to the sandbox. Thankfully, it was during those glorious end of summer days that kept the kids engrossed in outdoor play, needing very little from me. Don't get all judgmental. I balanced that out nicely with a few choice parenting tomes. Here's the list:

  1. Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella
  2. Owls Well that Ends Well by Donna Andrews
  3. No Nest for the Wicket by Donna Andrews
  4. Cockatiels at Seven by Donna Andrews
  5. What Happy Parents Do by Carol J. Bruess, Ph.D. and Anna D.H. Kudak, M.A.
  6. We'll Always Have Parrots by Donna Andrews
  7. The Penguin Who Knew Too Much by Donna Andrews
  8. Six Geese A-Slaying by Donna Andrews
  9. Cords of Love by Lynn A. Coleman
  10. The Heart of the Matter by Kristy Dykes
  11. Merely Players by Kathleen E. Kovach
  12. Swan for the Money by Donna Andrews
  13. Stork Raving Mad by Donna Andrews
  14. The Real Macaw by Donna Andrews
  15. Click Here for Murder by Donna Andrews
  16. Access Denied by Donna Andrews
  17. Delete All Suspects by Donna Andrews
  18. Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich
  19. The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand
  20. Lemon Meringue Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke
  21. Cream Puff Murder by Joanne Fluke
  22. Fudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne Fluke
  23. Sugar Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke
  24. Plum Pudding Murder by Joanne Fluke
  25. Blueberry Muffin Murder by Joanne Fluke
  26. Key Lime Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke
  27. Strawberry Shortcake Murder by Joanne Fluke
  28. Cherry Cheesecake Murder by Joanne Fluke
  29. Carrot Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke
  30. The Island by Elin Hilderbrand
  31. Devil's Food Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke
  32. Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James
  33. Fifty Shades Darker by E L James
  34. Fifty Shades Freed by E L James
  35. Maid of Murder by Amanda Flower
  36. Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service by Beth Kendrick
  37. Second Time Around by Beth Kendrick
  38. Peach Cobbler Murder by Joanne Fluke
  39. Apple Turnover Murder by Joanne Fluke
  40. Helicopters, Drill Sergeants, and Consultants: Parenting Styles and the Messages They Send by Jim Fay
  41. Cinnamon Roll Murder by Joanne Fluke
  42. Humor, Play & Laughter: Stress-Proofing Life with Your Kids by Joseph Michelli, Ph.D
  43. Parent Talk: Words That Empower, Words That Wound by Chick Moorman
  44. The Gift of the Magi and Other Stories by O. Henry
  45. Raising Boys: Why Boys are Different -- and How to Help Them Become Happy and Well-Balanced Men by Steve Biddulph
  46. Gingerbread Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke
  47. The Dangers of Gingerbread Cookies by Laura Levine
  48. Gingerbread Cookies and Gunshots by Leslie Meier
  49. 500 Terrific Ideas for Organizing Everything by Sheree Bykofsky 

No comments:

Post a Comment