Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Homestyle Chicken and Stuffing

I tried this one for the first time last night, and I will definitely be making it again. It was easy, and everyone ate plenty, even Brett who says he isn't that big of a stuffing fan. I cooked some chicken to make it, but the recipe suggests using leftover chicken or cut up roast chicken from the deli as a time saver.

Ingredients:        Makes 4-6 Servings
  • 1 10 3/4-ounce can condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup (I used cream of chicken with herb.)
  • 1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 16-ounce package frozen broccoli, corn, and red peppers (We don't eat red peppers so I added approximately 12 ounces of broccoli and 4 ounces of corn.)
  • 2 1/2 cups cooked cubed chicken
  • 1 8-ounce package cornbread stuffing mix (My package was 6 ounces because that's all I saw at the store. Do they even make 8 ounce packages?)
Directions:
  1. In a very large bowl stir together soup, melted margarine, and 1/4 cup water. Add vegetables, chicken, and stuffing mix; stir until combined. Transfer mixture to a 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker*. 
  2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on a high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
My Notes: 
*I have spent months trying to figure out why our slow cooker cooks everything so much faster than recipes suggest. My best guess is that ours is smaller than recommended. This dish cooked in 2 1/2 to 3 hours on low.  
*I wonder if doubling the ingredients would help since the Crock Pot was only about half full.

No comments:

Post a Comment