- egg cartons
- black paint
- paint brush
- wiggly eyes
- white felt or craft foam
- dimensional paint
- wooden skewer
- Cut egg carton into 3 sections. (We used both cardboard and Styrofoam egg cartons. The cardboard seemed to take paint better, but the Styrofoam is slightly easier to cut. I think the cardboard is also more durable.)
- Use a skewer (If you don't have a skewer, use a pencil or tip of scissors) to make a hole in the top for hanging.
- Cut wings from two outside sections. (It looks like you are cutting arches on either side.)
- Paint black and allow to dry. (We used tempera paint.)
- Decorate by gluing on wiggly eyes. We used glued on some fangs cut from white felt and white craft foam (I preferred the foam). Then we added dimensional paint to make the rest of the mouth. (If you use the dimensional paint, it takes much longer to dry.)
- Add elastic for hanging, so the bats will be bouncy. Insert both ends into the hole so there is a loop on top, and then knot the underside. (My elastic was saved from some packaging, possibly a box of chocolates.) If you don't have elastic, you can use string, yarn, or ribbon.